About Our Parish
St. Boniface Parish began in 1853 with the purchase of two lots on 10th Street between Main and Ferry, to serve the needs of German-speaking Catholics in the Lafayette area. In 1865, on the site of an old, Indian burial ground, the church was constructed. The Order of Friars Minor (Franciscan Fathers) of the Cincinnati Province assumed pastoral responsibilities for St. Boniface from 1875-1991.
In 1886, the original small church on 10th Street was remodeled and a second story was added to convert it into a school. Expansion continued when a new school building for boys (the present Rectory), was established in 1883.
Since 1877, the Franciscan Sisters of Perpetual Adoration of Olpe, Germany, assumed teaching responsibilities at St. Boniface School. Many holy vocations to the Priesthood and Religious Life have resulted from Franciscan influence and direction. The Franciscan Sisters continue to direct our school, and with the pastor of the parish conduct a vocation discernment program for young men and women.
With a present staff including three full-time priests, and three permanent deacons, St. Boniface has witnessed many changes over its long history, which is evidence of its constant drive to meet the changing needs of the parish. Jesus Christ in His Body and Blood is the center of our parish life.